Advanced Learning Opportunities (ALOs) are supported programs that serve the needs of academically gifted students AND teacher-identified students who demonstrate skills and readiness for participation in an accelerated, rigorous, and enriched curriculum. Service delivery is typically through an inclusive approach with an emphasis on differentiated instruction and flexible grouping in the regular classroom.
Who does the program serve?
ALOs serve two primary student groups:
- district-identified students who are academically gifted
- teacher-identified students who demonstrate skills and readiness for participation in an accelerated and rigorous curriculum.
Students participating in an ALO program are expected to:
- demonstrate mastery of grade level grade level expectations in all areas
- work toward mastery of grade level standards beyond grade level in reading and mathematics (typically, one grade or more above current grade assignment).
What to do if your child needs advanced learning services?
- Let your child's teacher know your concerns.
- If your child needs a more individualized plan for learning and access to additional resources, contact your school's ALPS Site Liaison to request a Student Success Team (SST) meeting.
- The goal of the SST meeting is to develop a plan to keep your child motivated and moving forward academically.
SST Support Information